Sunrise International Preschool was established in Copenhagen in 1980 by a group of parents inspired by neo-humanist education. The school was originally a playschool, situated on Østerbro in Copenhagen.
Over time, the school developed and grew into what is now a preschool for a larger group of children and with a curriculum that not only includes fun and playing but also a more structured framework for learning and development.
In April 2004 the school moved to its present location in a large and beautiful villa with a lovely garden in Hellerup, a mere 15-minute drive from the heart of Copenhagen.
The school has two sections; preschool 1 and preschool 2.
Preschool 1 and 2
The preschool 1 ( ages 2 to 3 1/2 ) has 1 qualified teacher and 3 assistant teachers, while the preschool 2 (ages 3 1/2 to 5 1/2) has 2 qualified teachers and 3 assistant teachers. In addition, the school employs a director.
Aims and objectives
- To provide a loving and supportive environment in which the full potential of each child can be developed and expressed.
- To help each child love and appreciate his or her own uniqueness and that of others.
- To encourage a universal outlook, free from discrimination based on race, religion, creed or gender.
- To promote awareness of ecology, the environment and the inter-relatedness of all things and to encourage respect and care for all living beings.
- To introduce basic academic and “practical life” skills.
- To facilitate personal and social development through the promotion of co-operation, morality, responsibility, cleanliness, self-discipline and self-confidence.
- To develop a sense of aesthetics and appreciation of culture through art, dance, drama, music and stories.
- To recognize the importance of teachers and parents setting an example.
- To awaken a thirst for knowledge and love of learning.